Now in its second year, the HLR Scholarship has been awarded to ten young women across the globe
New York, NY (October 13, 2016) – J. Walter Thompson announced today the five young women selected for this year’s class of Helen Lansdowne Resor Scholarship recipients.
Named after the industry’s and J. Walter Thompson’s first female copywriter, the HLR Scholarship is a global program launched by J. Walter Thompson and the 4A’s in 2014. It was designed to confront the disproportionately low presence of female creative leadership in the advertising industry, offering a select group of young aspiring female creatives the support they need to change the tides.
Each winner receives an individual scholarship up to $10,000, a paid summer internship with a J. Walter Thompson office in her respective region, a J. Walter Thompson mentor, and a “first look” placement consideration upon graduation.
Laura Agostini, Chief Talent Officer at J. Walter Thompson Company, said of this year’s Scholarship recipient group, “It’s a fantastic honor to again give a group of talented young women an opportunity they have worked so hard for. These are the next Helen Lansdowne Resors, the next generation of female creative leaders, and we’re happy to be able to support their growth so early in their careers.”
Matt Eastwood, J. Walter Thompson’s Worldwide Chief Creative Officer, added, “This year’s group of recipients, Limah, Manuela, Sneha, Tasneem and Yanci, represent a generation that has incredible potential. As our next creative leaders, they will be shaping our industry’s creative output, and I’m proud that we have a part in getting more diverse perspectives into the creative rooms of tomorrow. The industry will be the better for it.”
This year’s recipients represent five of J. Walter Thompson’s key markets and also come from diverse academic backgrounds, speaking to the company’s investment in looking for outstanding creative talent beyond the typical channels.
The winners are:
• ASIA PACIFIC: Yanci Wu, an Experience Designer working towards her Master’s in Business at the Virginia Commonwealth University. Originally from China, she left behind her entire family to pursue her creative passions. View Yanci’s portfolio here.
• EUROPE: Manuela Rondón, a copywriting student at the Miami Ad School of Berlin. Originally from the Dominican Republic, she earned her Bachelor’s in Advertising, Creative & Management from Universidad Autónoma de Santo Domingo. View Manuela’s portfolio here.
• MIDDLE EAST & AFRICA: Tasneem Karamallah, an Art Direction major at the American University of Sharjah in the UAE. She is dedicated to creating design that is strong and that expresses her strength as a woman. View Tasneem’s portfolio here.
• NORTH AMERICA: Limah Taeb, a first generation Afghan-Muslim-American who is currently pursuing a Master’s in Business at the Virginia Commonwealth University. She is an advocate for encouraging women and minorities to enter the tech and design fields. View Limah’s portfolio here.
• SOUTH ASIA: Sneha Sankar, a Graphic Design student at the National Institute of Design in India. She was pivotally shaped by her participation on a women’s sports team where she learned about gender biases and inequalities. View Sneha’s portfolio here.
See what each winner had to say about the Scholarship here.
To learn more about the Scholarship and how to apply, click here.
# # #
NOTE TO EDITOR:
Helen Lansdowne Resor began her pioneering half-century-long career with J. Walter Thompson in 1908, and quickly became a guidepost to female creatives of her generation and a champion for the advancement of women’s rights both inside and outside the agency. During her tenure, J. Walter Thompson was known as the “Women’s Agency,” where bright young female talents had a chance to succeed. As a brilliant creative, working mother and icon in advancing women’s rights, she overcame significant cultural barriers as a true pioneer. She is also credited with some of the industry’s most innovative early advertising, including the use of celebrity testimonials and endorsements from socialites, European royalty and other well-known women in her work for Pond’s Cold Cream.
ABOUT J. WALTER THOMPSON COMPANY
J. Walter Thompson Company was founded in 1864 and has been making pioneering solutions that build enduring brands and business for more than 150 years. Today the company has evolved to include several global networks including J. Walter Thompson Worldwide, Mirum and Colloquial.
+1 646 643 2948